J-Exchange Visitor


You qualify for a J-1 exchange visitor visa if you are coming to the U.S. as a student, scholar, trainee, teacher, professor, research assistant, medical graduate or international visitor who is accepted by the United States Information Agency (USIA).


In seeking a J-1 Visa, you will be asked to present a Certificate of Eligibility, known as the IAP-66 form. This form is provided to you by the sponsor of the exchange visitor program in which you will take part. The form will list the specific dates you are expected to be participating in the program. The Certificate of Eligibility is usually issued for the period of time needed to complete the particular exchange visitor program for which your J-1 visa is approved.

Obtaining a J-1Visa: 

Step One: The Application

Certain portions of the application are technically the responsibility of the sponsor of the particular exchange visitor program in which you will be participating. Some applicants expect the responsible officer of their program sponsors to handle the entire procedure for them, but this rarely happens. The only part of the J-1 visa application you should expect your school to complete is a form known as the Certificate of Eligibility. You will use this certificate in preparing your application for a J-1 visa.

Step Two: Paperwork

There are two types of paperwork you must submit to get a J-1 visa. The first consists of official government forms completed by you or your program sponsor. The second is personal and financial documents such as birth and marriage certificates, school transcripts and diplomas.




Copyright 2000. Wilco Consulting Co.  Ltd. All rights reserved

Site Designed By WebCompStore.com